Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Proof is in the Pictures


It all started with this photo that I took of my kids, Leah (age 5) and Matt (3), at the Stamford Museum & Nature Center in Connecticut. The day was gorgeous, the kids were happy, the baby goats were like cartoon versions of themselves they were so cute, and I thought to myself, "I'm providing them a damn good childhood here. Too bad they won't remember any of it when they're teenagers and blaming me for everything that's going wrong in their lives."

But now they will remember it. All of it. Because I'm going to document every last moment of childhood joy and throw it in their faces when they try to accuse me of not providing them with enough love or attention or time or whatever. You gotta keep your bases covered, amirite, parents?

Here's another money shot, taken on the same day. Does it get more idyllic than this?


Of course, this whole plan could backfire on me, and the existence of this blog could become excellent fodder for my kids' therapists (whose bills I will surely be footing out of guilt). It all remains to be seen.

Anyway, for those looking to visit the Stamford Museum and Nature Center, I highly recommend it. We live in Westchester County, about twenty minutes away, and it was a breezy, scenic drive up the Merritt Parkway. This was our first trip, and I was impressed. Prior to this, our go-to farm has been Stone Barns in Tarrytown, but there was actually a lot more animal interaction at the Stamford Museum (and there's an actual museum, although we didn't have time to check it out).

The kids spent all their times feeding the baby goats, checking out the resident otters, and admiring the World's Cutest Bunny. I mean, all bunnies are cute, right? I've never met an ugly one. But this bunny was beyond the beyond, with his crazy-fluffy ears and hilariously bulging cheeks. This photo doesn't do it justice. If you saw this bunny in person I guarantee that you'd be making involuntary cooing sounds, as I did.


Also on site were other various farm animals (including free-roaming hens), vegetable gardens and beehives. There were even barns and silos. 


Oh, and did I mention the playground? The nature center has one of the largest, most awesome playgrounds my kids have ever experienced. It was certainly the largest, most awesome playground I have ever experienced. There were different sections to it, dozens of ramps, and this insanely long slide. I may have pushed a kid aside to try it out myself.


All in all, a lovely place ... a place where memories are made and childhoods are made happier. That should be their motto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment